Look to the left, look to the right… you will see pride everywhere. Think about it… one of a person’s journey on earth is to conquer his own pride, expressed in many ways, sometimes vocal sometimes silent.
Some of the manifestations of pride include:
- Being deceitful by covering up sins, faults, and mistakes… Proverbs 11:2.
- Not having close relationships… Hebrews 10:24-25.
- Lack of admitting when you are wrong…Proverbs 10:17.
- Talks too much about himself… Galatians 6:3.
- Devastated and angered by criticism…Proverbs 13.1.
- Being unteachable… Proverbs 19:20.
- Being sarcastic, hurtful or degrading… Proverbs 12:18, 23.
- Being defensive or blame shifting…Genesis 3:12-13.
Pride is everywhere, no matter the country, language spoken, color or the religion we practice.
Food for thought: In the current media landscape that we live in these days, where our economical system falls under an abundant market where outputs are at an all time high for earned media attempts, is it sinful (prideful) to share our updates on LinkedIn?
I say yes. Are our social shares in social media platforms more prideful than those 8 types of pride manifestations listed above. I say no.
We are all prideful. Pride is a human condition. Sometimes the general consensus is incorrect. Pride is a lot more than just self promotion.
Just because something is accepted, like pride being associated with self-promotion, doesn’t necessary mean it’s right. Slavery taught us this lesson, didn’t it?
Seek God above all things and repent. Perhaps by His grace we shall be saved.